COPD Case Study
Patient and History:
D.Z. a 65 yr old man is admitted to a medical floor for COPD exacerbation. PMH of HTN, controlled well by enalapril for the past 6 years as well as a recent diagnosis of pneumonia. He appears cachectic and experiences dyspnea at rest. He reports a productive cough of thick yellow green sputum. D.Z. is experiencing irritability and anxiety. He reports smoking 2 packs a day for 38 years. He complains of sleeping poorly and feeling tired most of the time.
BP 162/84, P 124, RR 36, T 102.8F SaO2 88% Room air.
Admitting diagnosis: Exacerbation of COPD etiology to be determined.
Diet as tolerated, Up with assistance, O2 to maintain sats greater than 90%, IV D5W @ 50 ml/hr, Strict I/O, ABG’s in AM, CBC with diff, BMP, Theophylline level on admission, CXR every 24 hours.
Prednisone 60mg po daily
Doxycycline 100mg po every 12 hours for 10 days
Azithromycin 500 mg IVPB every 24 hours for 2 days then 500mg po for 7 days
Theophylline 300mg po BID
Heparin SQ 5000 Units BID
Albuterol 2.5mg/3ml NS and Atrovent 500mg by nebs every 4-6 hours
Enalapril 10mg po every am
1. In 200 Words Explain the pathophysiology of COPD give clinical example of symptoms and pathophysiology associated with COPD.
2. What type of COPD do you feel this patient is experiencing provide explanation in 200 words minimum?
3. Are DZ’s VS and SO2 appropriate? If not explain why?
4. Identify 3 nursing diagnosis and interventions that can be implemented to improve oxygenation and explain how to determine effectiveness. 200 word minimum.
5. Explain the purpose of the following classes of drugs as they relate to COPD provide explanation and direction for each use.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more