Analytical chemistry calculations
1. (5 marks) Calculate the solubility product of Hg2SO4 using the following half-reactions: reduction of Hg2SO4(s) to Hg(l) and reduction of Hg22+ to Hg(l).
2. (5 marks) An electrochemical cell is constructed in which both electrodes are made of platinum, but in which one electrode is in contact with an aqueous solution containing [Fe2+]=0.0765M and [Fe3+]=0.176M while the other electrode is in contact with an aqueous solution containing [Ce4+]=0.0376M and [Ce3+]=0.0987M. The two half-cells are connected with a salt bridge of saturated KNO3.What is the potential of this cell at 35.0°C? What is K value for net cell reaction at 35.0°C?
3. (5 marks) Calculate [H+], given the electrochemical cell shown below has an Ecell =1.018 V. The Eo for Fe3+/Fe2+ = 0.771 V and Eo for UO22+/ U4+ = 0.273 V.
Pt(s) | UO22+ (0 .050 M), U4+ (0.050 M), HCO2H (0.1 M), HCO2Na (0.3 M) || Fe3+(0.050 M), Fe2+ (0.025 M) |Pt(s)
4. Calculate the potential of the solution (vs. S.C.E.) in the titration of 50.0 mL of 0.100 M Fe2+ in 1.00M HClO4 with 0.0167 M Cr2O72- at
(a) (4 marks) 10.0 mL titrant added
(b) (2 marks) 25.0 mL titrant added
(c) (4 marks) 49.9 ml titrant added (hint: may need to use an approximation)
(d) (3 marks) 60.0 mL titrant added.
(e) (7 marks) Plot the titration curve using Excel or other spreadsheet software.
(f) (2 marks) What would be a suitable redox indicator for this titration and why?
5. Calculate the potential of the solution (vs. S.C.E.) in the titration of 50.0 mL of 0.100 M Fe2+ in 1.00M HClO4 with 0.100 M Cr2O72- at
(a) (2 marks) 3.0 mL titrant added
(b) (2 marks) 7.0 mL titrant added
(c) (2 marks) 8.40 ml titrant added
(d) (5 marks) Plot the titration curve using Excel or other spreadsheet software. How does the curve compare to the curve obtained in Question 4?
(e) (2 marks) What parameter would you change in redox titration to make the equivalence point easier to detect? Answer the question both in (i) general terms and with specific suggestions for this particular titration.
Displaying messages 1 – 2 of 2
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more